Thursday, September 13, 2007

XYZ studios with MADC

Last night was the last workshop of the MADC mentorship program that I’m doing at the moment. Over the past 13 weeks we’ve been going to a different business each Thursday night, that all have a part to play in Advertising. We’ve been to Sugar studios (photography), Gastoo (where we actually recorded a radio ad), to Bambra Press (printing), to Iloura (digital/animation post production) and to The Age (for a lecture on Advertising) just to name a few. Last night we went to to XYZ studios. AMAZING.

Not only am I obsessed with their offices and have begged to be invited to their next rooftop party (on the top of the Ritz on Fitzroy St) but if I ever managed to get a job I will be definitely calling on them for some TVC production. They have won some amazing awards for their animated Haviana ad that they did for Clemenger BBDO New York (see below).



Tim Kentley, the founder of XYZ studios, has decided that animation is just not enough and has branched out into directing film – or in this case a video clip. Which is coincidently filmed at the same place as Summer Heights High. And if you take a look at some of the characters that appear in the film clip - you have to wonder if Chris Lilley saw this before he invented the red haired seventh grader or even Jonah form Summer Heights. I wonder if Ja’mie will get pregnant??!!



Tim took us through the process for some of the ads . . . in particular the Honda ad below. I love the use of illustration and the way they think through their processes –it’s exactly how we think and work our way around problems in the lab at uni.



They work hard, do things a little bit differently and are starting to leave some serious footprints in the Ad world.

All and all I have learnt so much from the MADC mentorship program, every time that I come out of a Thursday night work shop my mind is buzzing with ideas and ways I could include them in the campaign I’m currently working on for the MADC competition (which I have to present next week at CHE).

The program has broadened my horizons and understanding of possibilities as well as further inspiring me to get into Advertising. The people who have given up their time to help us out have been especially awesome giving me yet again another reason to keep my head down and work hard to get a job in the industry.

So, thanks to Nicole and Brendan from the MADC for making it possible – and to all the places that let us come in and eat your lollies/chips on a Thursday evening.

5 comments:

Stanley Johnson said...

Excellent post Fran. Great to see you so inspired.

Timo said...

what colour is the universe?
Its the colour you never imagined.

t

Ed said...

Best of luck!

Lady Chameleon said...

it's latte . . . the colour of the universe is latte

Timo said...

well it depends which universe you are talking about, the portal into another one is likely a black hole, and no one knows the colours that are on the other side, not even starbucks.